Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Just one year ago I was in Paris experiencing one the most amazing Thanksgiving celebrations I have ever had. I got to experience the American tradition in Paris, France with my API family. I am still thankful for that experience everyday.

Early this week I was granted "backstage" access to Thanksgiving Mayhem at A Little Something Bakery. (It helps that I am related to the owner, but still.) Preparing for a holiday, such as Thanksgiving, takes weeks of planning, preparation, and multiple sets of hands. A Little Something Bakery successfully completed their third Thanksgiving just a few short weeks after loosing power for 5 1/2 days in Winter Storm Alfred. This devastation did not stop bake shop owner Beth Bolton who still has much to be thankful for this holiday. Local newspaper, West Hartford News, even wrote a lovely article about the bakery. Read it here!

Baking for Thanksgiving at a bakery is very different from baking a few pies at home. Instead of using a recipe that yields one pie, one uses a recipe that yields 8-10 pies. A Little Something Bakery's Thanksgiving menu was not short of sweet treats. There was the traditional pumpkin, apple, and southern pecan pies. Other flavors and desserts were thrown into the mix such as a Pumpkin Cheesecake and a Caramel Brownie Puddle Tart. I snapped a few photos of the hard working employees baking away...after hours mind you. Baking is not all to preparing for the holiday either. There needs to be plenty of room to display the product, boxes need to be made to put the pies in once they are sold, and orders need to be put aside and assembled.









My favorite photo? The turkey cupcakes, how adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment