Saturday, August 13, 2011

Welcome to Wear's the Manual

I should start out by giving a briefing on what this blog is all about. There is no manual to life. While there is plenty of advice and research out there in the world, no one person has all the answers. I graduated this past May from the University of Rhode Island with two degrees: a Bachelor's of Arts in French and a Bachelor's of Science in Textiles, Fashion Merchandising and Design. I love sewing and fashion. While there are manuals and instruction books on how to make a french seam, styling and fashion, in general, does not have one step by step instruction manual. Each person has their own style and point of view. My goals for this blog are to discuss the ins and outs, ups and downs, successes and faux pas in the realms of life, fashion, and my sewing projects/adventures with occasional side notes on my new hobby obsession of couponing!

With all that said I am excited to start my first blog post. I have a new favorite sewing tool, the Dritz Quick Turn for turning loops!

Gone are the days of sewing a piece of cording on the inside or using the bodkin loop turner and having it unhook half way through the turn process. You can get this tool at your local craft or sewing supply store. I purchased mine at Joann Fabrics. Retail price is $7.99, luckily I had a store coupon to get 40% off. Either way it is worth the money. You can turn a loop in as little as ten seconds. I used to give up after ten minutes with my other methods.

I used this tool to create a fabric tube to create this funky necklace. The chain in 18 1/2 inches and the fabric part is 10 inches for a total length of 28 1/2 inches. It took lots of trials and errors to get this look. I had the fabric fray, beads with small holes, and jump rings that broke. Finally, I got the finished product with a little good luck from my new tool! (Did I mention I love this thing?)


*note: I had to tie up the chain a bit for the photographing process

<3 Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment