Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Old + Old = New?

Chunky jewelry goes in and out of style. Over the past few seasons it has definitely been the to go-to accessory to spice up any outfit. Pair with a causal tee and jeans or top off that cocktail dress, you cannot go wrong. I love love chunky funky necklaces but hate shopping for them, there are too many choices! I decided to make my own.

The first one I made was using various beads strung on knotted ribbon. The asymmetry of the beading and ribbon work makes this necklace causal yet dressy.

This is one of those love me for my flaws type necklaces. The beads are slightly heavy for the thin ribbon but I like how the weight pulls on the knots in the ribbon to make it less then perfect.

The second necklace I made is a concoction of antique necklace parts and an old scarf. I am always looking for ways to reinvent things. I went to an antique store a few weeks ago and bought a zip top baggy full of various jewelry. The women who ran the shop thought it was broken jewelry, to my surprise and happiness only one earring was broken; what a steal! What caught my eye was this awesome cream and gold pendant. (I am still trying to find the perfect accompaniments to go with it.) The pendant was on 2 strands; one chain and one beaded. I decided to use the beaded one for the back portion of this necklace. I also took a trip to the local Salvation Army on a hunt for some funky scarves. I came across four and thought the green one was perfect for the beaded necklace. I washed and dried the scarf, then folded and knotted it. The final product is as shown. Old + Old + creativity= a new necklace ready for a night on the town!



No comments:

Post a Comment