Monday, February 6, 2012

Black Bean, Spinach, & Turkey Bacon Empanadas

I found a recipe online for empanadas. I had most of the ingredients but decided to switch out some for black beans and turkey bacon. I have never made empanadas and was unsure of how these would turn out. To my surprise (and my family's) these were delicious.
I started out by doing a quick soak, then cooking the black beans. I only made about 1/3 cup (dry) beans. The beans are what made the entire appetizer.


Basic Empanada Dough

Chopped Spinach: Thawed and Drained

 
I used green onions that I sauteed with 2 cloves of fresh garlic

Chop and Cooked Turkey Bacon



After the green onions and garlic were done sauteing, I added back in the bacon and mixed in the spinach


Mixed in the cooked and cooled black beans


 
Let the whole thing cool, then stir in cheddar  cheese


I rolled out the dough and cut small circles
  
Add the filling, make little pockets, and egg wash


20 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit = YUM!

These fit perfectly in your hand so no fork or knife is needed. My family and I decided to eat these with a little sourcream and salsa topping.






No comments:

Post a Comment